Village of Mead
Volume 11, Issue 9
VILLAGE OF MEAD BOARD OF TRUSTEES MEET AUGUST 9
A Regular Meeting of the Village of Mead Board of Trustees was held August 9, 2016 at 6:00 p.m. at the Village Office. Answering roll call were Chairman Havelka; Trustees Felty, Guyle, Wielage and Wimer. Also present were Clerk Moline, Utility/Maintenance Superintendent Raver, Police Chief Carlson and Library Directors Moseman and VanAckeren. Guests present were Ed Schroeder, Dick and Joan Swanson, Melissa Konecky, Viki Miller, Jan Behrens, Cheri Else, Paulette Mayfield, Connie Schliffke, Kristin Kavan, Denise Patocka and Jeannette Johnson.
A Budget Workshop was called at 6:10 p.m. Accountant Ed Schroeder reported the 10/1/16 through 9/30/17 proposed budget. Discussion by the board followed. Public input was heard. The board reconvened to regular session at 7:16 p.m.
SCHEDULED GUEST: Jeannette Johnson provided information about the Mead Community Group.
REPORTS: Police Chief / Zoning Administrator / Nuisance Enforcement Officer - Carlson presented the Monthly Police Report, provided a update on an unapproved accessory building, status of nuisance at 410 S. Oak St., status of declared nuisance and condemnation of a building at 420 S. St. and the process to remove wood, debris and metals from a property located at 1020 Co Rd M. A bid from All Metals was approved to remove the items. Utility / Maintenance Superintendent - Raver reported water violation, concrete replacement on certain streets, water condition concern at the lagoon site and meter maintenance. Planning Commission - The minutes of the July 25 Regular Meeting and Building Permits were accepted. Permits being: 16-09, Leo and Linda Sweet to erect a 6’ privacy fence and 16-10, Mike Maly to erect a 4’ chain-link fence. Discussion was held on an expired Building Permit issued to Perry Storm. Action was taken to void Building Permit 15-02 and issue a new permit for an extension regarding the timeline to relocate a house to 518 S. Spruce St. Library - The minutes of the July 20 Library Board Meeting were accepted. Clerk - Moline reported the issue of one UTV permit.
NEW BUSINESS: The board adjourned to executive session at 8:10 p.m. for the protection of the reputation of an individual — Police Chief. The meeting reconvened to regular session at 8:17 p.m.
The meeting adjourned at 8:17 p.m.
MEAD PUBLIC LIBRARY NEWS
Tuesdays 10am-1pm and 4pm-7pm Fridays 9am-2pm
Wednesdays 4pm-7pm Saturdays 10am-2pm
Thursdays 11am-6pm Closed: Sunday and Monday
NOTE: The library is in the process of applying for continuing accreditation through the Nebraska Library Commission.
Coffee Hour is scheduled every Tuesday at 10am and Story Time for young children is offered every Thursday at 4pm and Saturday at 11am.
The Lunch Bunch Book Club will meet from 1130am-1230pm on Friday, September 16. All residents are welcome to stop by and enjoy the book discussion, dessert, and coffee.
The Library Board will meet Wednesday, September 21, at 530pm. This session is open to the public and the agenda is posted prior to the meeting inside the library and the Mead Post Office.
Upcoming Special Events
Wednesday, September 14 – Lego Party from 430-630pm. Board games are also available and all ages are welcome.
Tuesday, September 27 – Fall Craft Time from 430-630 pm. Stop by and enjoy fun activities designed for all ages.
Thanks to residents who attended the Village Board Meeting on August 9 and patrons who donated books and supplies to the library. Your support is appreciated!
ST. JAMES CATHOLIC 213 E. Eighth St.
www.sjamescatholicchurch.com / 402-624-3555
5:30p.m. - Saturday Vigil
9:00a.m. - Sunday Mass
7:00a.m. - Daily Mass - Monday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday
8:00a.m. - Daily Mass - Saturday, when scheduled
ALMA LUTHERAN 219 W. Fifth St.
www.almalutheran.com / 402-624-3015
8:30a.m. - Sunday Worship - First Sunday of the month
9:00a.m. - Sunday School (begins September 11)
10:30a.m. - Sunday Worship - All other Sundays
9:00 a.m. - Sunday School for all ages
PANERA BREAD - FREE TO THE PUBLIC, Saturday following the second Friday of the month - SEPTEMBER 10
SUNDAY SCHOOL RALLY DAY - September 11th
MEAD COVENANT 1540 Co Rd 10
www.covmead.org / 402-624-6125
10:00a.m. - Sunday Encounter Service
6:00p.m. - We’d like to treat you to a FREE meal!
7:00p.m. - Adult Groups, Jr & Sr High Youth Group
7:15p.m. - Kids in Action (elementary age children)
FUN FACTS ~
- Editor Bennett Cerf challenged Dr. Seuss to write a book using no more than 50 words. The result? Green Eggs and Ham.
- William Faulkner refused a dinner invitation from JFK’s White House. “Why that’s a hundred miles away,” he said. “That’s a long way to go just to eat.”
- Hawaiian Punch was originally developed as a tropical flavored ice cream topping.
- During a 2004 episode of Sesame Street, Cookie Monster said that before he started eating cookies, his name was Sid.
- Dolly Parton once entered a Dolly Parton look-a-like contest—and lost.
- In Peanuts in 1968, Snoopy trained to become a champion arm-wrestler. In the end, he was disqualified for not having thumbs.
- If you open your eyes in a pitch-black room, the color you’ll see is called ‘eigengrau.’
- During the first Super Bowl in 1967, NBC was still in commercial when the second half kicked off. Officials asked the Packers to kick off again.
- See otters hold hands when they sleep so they don’t drift apart.
- The only numer whose letters are in alphabetical order is 40 (f-o-r-t-y).
- In 1991, Wayne Allwine, the voice of Mickey Mouse, married Russi Taylor - the voice of Minnie.VILLAGE OF MEAD UPCOMING MEETINGSVillage Board: Tuesday, September 13, 6:00 pmPlanning Comm.: Monday, September 26, 7:30 pmLibrary Board: Wednesday, September 21, 5:30 pmFire & Rescue: Monday, September 12, 7:30 pmThe Village Board & Planning Commission meet at the Village Office, Library Board at the Library and Fire/Rescue at the Fire Station.VILLAGE OF MEAD312 S. Vine St., Box 46Mead, NE 68041-0046
Fax 402-624-2024E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.orgWeb: www.meadnebraska.netShawn Havelka, ChairmanGary Guyle, TrusteeJason Felty, TrusteeRichard Wielage, TrusteeRod Wimer, TrusteeJune Moline, Clerk/Treasurer 402-624-2495Nick Raver, Utility/Maint. Supt. 402-443-9688Jerry Carlson, Police Chief 402-443-6846Lori Moseman, Library Director 402-624-6605Laurie VanAckeren, Ass’t Library DirectorNick Raver, Fire Chief 402-443-9688